Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Online Classrooms

In a recent article found on Education Week, the increased use of Internet classes is discussed. The article talks about how more and more students are taking online courses instead of waiting for classes to open up or to lighten their daily school load. This is very interesting to me. I wonder what the students really are getting out of these classes. Sure they are getting the material required to pass, for "all the virtual school's teachers are state-certified. Most are either retired K-12 teachers or currently teaching and working at the virtual school on the side," so we know they are being taught the material. But I feel like high school is a time to learn how to act around other people, how to conduct yourself as a fellow citizen. If students start taking these online courses, how will they learn to socialize with others? Ms. DaLage, one of the virtual school's teachers states that "students who are shy or socially awkward excel when removed from the pressures of the classroom. Others who struggle with group discussions thrive when they produce written work online." OK, but are we preparing our students to sit behind computers all their lives or are we supposed to help them thrive as active parts of society?

Also, I think I would hate to be one of these virtual teachers. The great part of teaching is getting to know your students personally. I love subbing right now because I know almost every student in grades 9-12 b/c I sub wherever needed and have really put effort into getting to know these kids. That's what teaching is all about. How could virtual classrooms ever compare to traditional classrooms where there is face-to-face contact??

I have never taken an online course, so I'd be interested to hear opinions from those who have...

3 comments:

Mrs. Brenneck said...

I've never taken an online class either, and I don't think I'd want to. This is largely due in part to my learning preference; many of us discussed this issue in Dave's blog a while ago. I'm the type of person that needs discussion in order to learn, but I know that others don't need this. Furthermore, my hunch is that in terms of just learning subject matter, an online course is probably fine. I also don't think that online courses should be the only kind of course a given student should take, but I know many people who feel themselves to be fully funtioning members of society, and these people almost never leave their computer. Times, they are a changin'.

Charm said...

I also have never taken an internet course, but my little sister is currently enrolled in one and has encountered problem after problem. All of the assignments and exams are online and she has no way to access these materials after handing the work or test in. This is proving to be very problematic for her, needless to say.

I am also concerned about high school students taking these classes. In my hayday in HS, distance learning classes were all the rage and they increased social interaction. It worries me that students can now optout of the social aspects of school. I would not give up my days in the halls at school for anything. There were problems, but there were also many, many great times that I will never forget.

Anonymous said...

Hi Danielle, I'm browsing for new content. K