Thursday, September 07, 2006

Elmo has Email!

Since we started this class, I have been much more aware of technology in my surroundings that I just didn't take note of prior to this class. Yesterday I was watching Sesame Street with my daughter, and Elmo has a segment where he learns to do something. Yesterday he was learning how to build things, and he was building a dog house. He needed help, so he called for his computer, which arrived promptly, and he emailed his friend for some advice. She got right back to him about how she built Snuffy a house and what materials Elmo would need, how to build it, etc.

It was a real eye-opener to me that this is the world we live in now. Computers are just another thing to help our children learn and connect with others. I think this is great. Our students are going to be so much further ahead than we ever were, and we can only increase this knowledge by tapping into the medium (is that the correct term?) that they are used to using.

This Elmo segment also shows this idea of Technology and Shared Learning (which is the subject of my first wiki in progress). Elmo was stuck, and asked his friend for help. When I was in school, it was all about the individual. Now education has changed to a group effort more than an individual effort. My main concern with this change is for the students who aren't able to work with others. I have seen many of those kinds of students both when I was a student and when I was student teaching. With team work and cooperation being such an important aspect of this new world, will the shy kids get left behind? Will group work become the norm in classrooms? Does anyone have much experience with group work? And how do you make sure everyone is benefiting from this sort of learning environment?

Just some thoughts. All triggered by that cute little red monster!

1 comment:

tamarajolie said...

I couldn't resist checking out a blog about sesame street. Your question about the shy child is an interesting one to me... how will kids with varied personality components cope with the more collaborative style of learning?